Monday, January 19, 2009

WD TV HD Media Player.

New Year, new things, new additions to the Home Theater. I've spent less time blogging as of late, and more time in Home theater heaven in front of my Samsung 50" Plasma HDTV, which is now connected via HDMI and Optical Audio to this little bad-boy. The Western Digital TV HD Media Player.

To those of you with no tech knowledge, let me make it simple. This plays video from a computer hard drive to your TV and Surround Sound system. Very simple.

For you tech-geeks like myself, here's the goods. Full 1080p output and upscale of 480i or 480p SD Content. Plays almost every container or media file type I've thrown at it. MPEG1, MPEG2, MKV, AVI, FLV, VOB, etc... The list goes on. This last weekend, I ripped my sons DVD collection to a portable 320GB USB powered HDD. About 25 DVD's allocated to 100GB of space on the HDD. Full quality rips to VOB in Video TS folder structures. No conversion required. Anything from Pixar looks amazing through this little gem, and especially on the 50" Plasma.

Why would anyone want this? Simple, really. I can host my sons entire movie collection on a hard drive. He no longer gets to play with DVD's and scratch them, rendering them useless. I no longer have to look on the DVD shelf, then upstairs in the bedroom, then in the living room to find a DVD he recently watched, but doesn't remember where. They can all be accessed by the touch of a button (one button on the Logitech Harmony remote, multiple buttons for you people without one).

Blu-Ray rips, mkv containers for TV show downloads from TVtorrents.com (if you need an invite, holler at me) x264 or AVCHD from your Hi-Def camcorder... No conversion necessary. This thing is awesome, and it was priced very reasonably. Less than $100 in most places online. If you catch a great sale like I did, it can be had for less. I got mine from Worst Buy, but only because of the deal they offered. I despise Big Box stores, but that's another blog.

Oh yeah, Happy 09' folks.

out.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

been using TVTorrents for a few years. love it.

Johnny Bishop said...

man, Change. I had to go out and buy two of these bad boys, the only thing is that I have 2 amine series that it won't play the subs for in the .mkv files, dunno why. Other than that, thanks for pathing the way for me to spend $200 dollars!

Change said...

Bishop, check out avsforums.com and you can figure out how to get those subtitles to work. I read something about it over there, but I don't watch Anime, so I moved on.

Johnny Bishop said...

Blessing Change, I'll do just that!