Monday, September 8, 2008

Stale Corn Bread


For the past month or so, the kitchen's at Ford Field have been cooking it non-stop. It's been a lucrative business for the Ford's for the past 50 years or so. It happens every year around the same time, and every year we local yocals buy it in oversized portions. We love the smell of that hot, buttery, cornbread. It looks delicious, it smells even better, and it tastes great when going down in generous portions. But it never fails... we all get sick from it, every year. Why oh why don't we learn from our past mistakes?

If you don't already know, Cornbread is a common term for Detroit Lion fans. The Lions make claims, they feed us wonderful lies, and pleasurable stories of grandeur which ultimately unwind each season, as soon as regular season play begins. Most fans eat the "cornbread" and get all excited and hopeful as we're told year after year, "this season will be different than past years, we're building something good here!". Then the regular season arrives, and we're all full and punch-drunk off the hot, buttery cornbread which we ate against our better judgment. No more than 5 minutes into game one in Atlanta, I became violently sick. It appears the cornbread was stale, again.

It's ok, I've been sick like this every year for the past... well, the Lions have never been successful, so I suppose all 29 years of my existence. I'm used to it at this point. The good thing is, I know how to cure the illness. I have to reevaluate my expectations for the season, and line them up with reality. I was hoping for 9 and 7, I was expecting 7 and 9. But now I realize, I should be expecting 3 and 13.

Go Lions!!!....

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yep. Well said. Story of my life as a football fan:(