Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Power Outage, and the First Day of School


Ahh... Tuesday Mournings. No, not my previous album. Rather, today began a new journey in our household as my son, Caleb, started pre-school. He looked like a little man today, with his backpack and Spiderman lunchbox (which I have to admit, I'm quite jealous of). He was quite prepared (thanks to T.W. (the wife) and my Mother-in-law) and very excited to embark on said journey. While I was excited for him, I have to admit I'm somewhat worried all the same. I haven't been in school for 10+ years, and I know kids can be cruel. Would my son be the outcast? Will he care? Will he say or do something to get himself in trouble? What if my kid is the school bully? Ok, breathe... relax... Most of these things I have no control over, but one thing I know for sure, he's an awesome kid. He's well behaved, even when he's not behaving. He's attentive (sometimes) and more importantly, he likes to be challenged. So I'm sure he'll do great at pre-school. Better than I'm doing today.

Which brings me to part II of this entry. While my son is playing learning games and reading stories, I'm busy at work. So busy, I've found time to blog about it. It's been quite an exciting day so far. DTE (Detroit Edison power company) is working in the nearby area for new construction, and they cut power to our entire building for most of the morning. No PC's, no Internet, no lights in the bathroom. Interesting to say the least. It's funny how the corporate world is made up of regular Joe's who revert to child-like mentalities when something like this happens. Water-cooler discussions of business deals turn into monologues from Office Space and Lumberg impressions. Just an observation...

I took the down-time as an opportunity to catch up on some reading. I'm currently reading Isaiah, Luke, and Psalms. So I took hold of the free time, and read a chapter or twenty. Good times, good reading. Ironically I was reading in Luke 19, the passage about Jesus driving out the business men from the temple. Jesus says "It is written 'My House is a House of prayer', but you have made it a den of robbers!". Strangely enough, I'm in a place of business which has turned into a place of disorder due to a simple loss of power. Lacking electricity, our place of business has turned into something it shouldn't be, in a matter of minutes.

I have to ask myself, do we... do I, do this as well? Within a short period of time, being withdrawn from God, His word, and His people in fellowship, we revert to child-like behavior and mannerisms, spiritually speaking. Critical spirits quickly arrive, and we become defensive and sometimes abrasive to others. We let our guard down with the things we allow in, and often let out. I know I do, at least. All the more reason to be in the Word daily, and refueling the spiritual reservoir which quickly runs dry. I know I need it more than most, I'm likely the worst offender.

Well, back to work... for the time being anyway.

No comments: